This recipe makes a delicious, rustic soda bread that tastes great with cheese, or just spread with plenty of butter. You can use different dried fruit such as dates, and even different nuts. But this is my favourite combination.
500g plain wholemeal flour
4tsp baking powder
100g dried figs (chopped)
150ml apple juice
- Preheat the oven to 210C/410F/Gas 7. Lightly grease a large baking tray.
- Crush half the walnuts to a fine powder. Roughly chop the rest.
- Combine the flour, salt, baking powder, walnuts and dried fruit in a large bowl. Add the water and apple juice.
- Mix until the dough is evenly combined, then knead until firm.
- Divide into two large rounds and flatten. Cut a deep cross into each.
- Place on the baking tray and bake for 20-25 minutes, until the bread sounds hollow when tapped on the base.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack before serving.