Don’t you just love using vegetables when they are in season?
But, what if you want to preserve the season’s bounty for a later date? Fermentation is one method for doing that.
What is Fermentation?
There are many methods for preserving fresh vegetables. Fermentation is one of them. It’s a traditional form of food preservation that involves submersing the vegetables in a salt brine and allowing beneficial bacteria (mainly lactobacillus) to take over.
If you are new to fermentation, here is a good primer from Economies of Kale: Lacto-Fermentation for Beginners
Asparagus is one of my favorite vegetables. Unfortunately, only one other person in my family shares my love of this green super food.
What was I to do with 4 bags of fresh asparagus that I bought on sale? Make asparagus pickles, of course!
Tips for Pickling Asparagus:
- Use fresh, crisp asparagus. Too ripe asparagus will get mushy during the fermentation process.
- Use organic if possible.
- Sterilize your jars before you get started.
- You will need tall pint and half mason jars so that the asparagus will fit.
What You Need:
Organic Pickling Spice
Grey Sea Salt
Fresh Asparagus Spears
- Prepare the asparagus spears: Rinse and pat dry. Cut off the woody ends. You may need to cut them down more so that they will fit in the jars.
- Prepare the salt brine by mixing 2 TBSP of salt per 4 cups of water. Stir until dissolved.
- Assemble the jars: Pour 1/2 TBSP of pickling spice in the bottom of each jar. Place asparagus in jars.
- Pour the salt brine into the jars, making sure to submerse the asparagus as much as possible. Leave about 1/2 inch of space at the top of the jar.
- Place the seal on and screw the lid on securely. Don't make it too tight or the seal could warp.
- Place in a dark, dry cupboard for at least 4 days. DO NOT REFRIGERATE! Your asparagus will begin to bubble slightly and may smell slightly tangy. This is good. After 4 days you can start to taste it. When it reaches the tanginess you like, place the jar(s) in the fridge. The flavor will continue to develop for up to a month.
You Might Also Like...
Latest posts by Vanessa Pruitt (see all)
- 8 Ways to Detox Your Mind: Get Rid of Mental Clutter and Negativity - March 22, 2017
- How I Lost 60 lbs on the Keto Diet: Before and After - March 9, 2017
- Best Detox Smoothies for Weight Loss - March 8, 2017