Being a yogurt lover on a low carb diet can be tough. Most yogurt brands that are sold in stores are high in sugars and low in fat, which means more carbs (and less of that healthy fat that we know is good for us on a low carb, high fat diet).
However, if you are really craving some yogurt, you do have options. Here are 5 yogurt options for the low carb dieter.
1. Whole Milk Yogurt
The first rule of thumb in buying low carb yogurt is to avoid low-fat or fat-free yogurts. The fat in fat-free or low-fat yogurt is often replaced with sugar and carbohydrates.
You can cut your carbohydrate intake nearly in half by buying full-fat yogurt. For example, 6oz of full-fat yogurt has about 6g of carbs, compared to 13g in nonfat and 12g in a low-fat yogurt of the same size.
2. Plain Greek Yogurt
Another great low carb yogurt option is plain greek yogurt, which is similar to full-fat yogurt in it’s carb content. Plain greek yogurt contains about 6g of carbs per 6oz serving.
3. Low Carb Mix-Ins
Of course, most people don’t like to eat yogurt plain without any fruit or sweeteners added. The best way to get an amazing low carb yogurt is to mix your own at home because you’ll be able to control the carb content of whatever you decide to add.
You can add all kinds of things to your yogurt to make it to your liking. Some examples include:
- Fruits (blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries are lowest in carbs, followed by cantelope, plums, and coconut)
- Artificial sweetener
- Peanut butter
- Carmelized nuts (recipe here)
- Homemade chocolate chips (recipe here)
- Low carb granola (recipe here)
- Vanilla extract (all natural, and just a drop or two)
4. Low Carb Yogurt Brands
If you don’t have the time or the patience to make your own low carb yogurt creations at home, there are a few options for yogurt brands that make individual, flavored low carb yogurts.
Here are just a few brands to look for:
- Dannon Light and Fit Carb and Sugar Control
- CarbMaster yogurt
- Fage (full-fat)
- Greek Gods (full-fat)
Just to wrap it up, here are some of the yogurt carb counts you should be aware of.
Low Carb Yogurt Line-Up
Per 6oz serving…
- Plain Greek Yogurt – 6g
- Full-fat Yogurt – 6g
- Low fat – 12g
- Nonfat – 13g
Was this article helpful to you? What are your favorite yogurt mix-ins? Let me know in the comments!
You Might Also Like...
Latest posts by Vanessa Pruitt (see all)
- How Does a Coffee Enema Work? - February 24, 2017
- Nature Inspired Home Decor Ideas that are Trending Now - February 22, 2017
- Packaged Healthy Snacks for School that Kids Love - February 17, 2017