Did you know that you can save many of your favorite cooking oils? It's a great way to save time and money in the kitchen.
In fact, two of my favorite (and healthy) oils are bacon fat and coconut oil. Both of these can be saved and used for later! So, how do you save oils and what do you use leftover oils for? Let's find out…
How to Save Leftover Cooking Oil
The number one rule in saving cooking oil and bacon grease is to try and separate the bits of leftover food from the oil. You also want to store the grease in a covered container to prevent bugs, dust, and other debris from settling on the grease.
Of course, you can store the grease in an old coffee can or a glass mason jar. However, you'll have to be careful of the temperature of the grease, as you could crack the glass if you pour it while it's too hot. That's why I prefer a grease keeper, because you can pour the grease while it's nice and hot.
Uses for Leftover Bacon Grease and Cooking Oil
Saving your grease and cooking oil is a “green” living choice because it saves money and keeps you from having to buy as much oil from the store. But what can you use it for?
Uses for Leftover Oil:
- Sub for oil and fat in recipes
- Use if for frying
- Use it to grease pans or cast iron skillets
- Make milk gravy with leftover grease instead of butter
- Leftover bacon grease makes the best cornbread
- Put some in the bottom of a deep-dish pan to make oven fries
The possibilities are endless! Once you begin saving your cooking oil and bacon grease you'll wonder why you waited so long.
How do you use your leftover bacon grease or cooking oil?
This post featured on: Tuned In Tuesday, Traditional Tuesdays, Fat Tuesday, Tasty Traditions, Unprocessed Fridays, Eat Fat Friday, Old-Fashioned Friday, Nomday Monday, Homestead Barn Hop, Natural Living Monday, Thank Goodness It's Monday.
Latest posts by Vanessa Pruitt (see all)
- 5 Surprising Benefits of Exercise on the Keto Diet - August 23, 2017
- Healthy Homemade “Mock” Caesar Dressing Recipe - August 13, 2017
- How to Make Homemade Low Carb Taco Seasoning Mix - August 5, 2017