If your family loves tacos or other mexican-style dishes, you likely use a lot of taco seasoning. But have you read the ingredients of store-bought taco seasoning mixes?
Here are the ingredients of a popular brand of taco seasoning:
Yellow Corn Flour, Salt, Maltodextrin, Paprika, Spices, Modified Corn Starch, Sugar, Garlic Powder, Citric Acid, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Natural Flavor, Caramel Color (sulfites).
Maltodextrin, modified corn starch, caramel color? Ew, no thanks! And sugar? Who needs sugar in taco seasoning? I certainly don’t.
Why Make Homemade Taco Seasoning?
Not only is it healthier to make your own, but it’s cheaper as well. I can make a huge jar of taco seasoning for a few bucks that will last for months (compare that to one packet of taco seasoning from the store that can cost anywhere from $.15 to $1 each)
And, because this homemade taco seasoning doesn’t contain any thickeners, it’s much more versatile. It can be added to almost anything, and doesn’t require any added water.
How to Make Homemade Taco Seasoning
Making your own taco seasoning is easy. All you need is the spices, a bowl to mix them in, and a jar to store them in.
Buying organic and high-quality spices is recommended but not required. Most of these spices you will already have in your pantry, so go ahead and use what you’ve got for now.
- A small mixing bowl (get it here)
- A wooden spoon (get it here)
- A spice jar (get it here)
- A small funnel (get it here)
- 1 TBSP chili powder (get it here)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (get it here)
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano (get it here)
- 1/2 tsp paprika (get it here)
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt (get it here)
- 1 tsp black pepper
Combine all of the spices in a small to medium mixing bowl. Stir with a wooden spoon to combine well. Transfer to a spice jar, using a funnel if needed. Label and store in your spice cabinet along with all of your other spices.
Sprinkle on ground beef, chicken, sausage, in sauces, and more as needed and to taste.
Do you make any other spice blends yourself?
You Might Also Like...
Latest posts by Vanessa Pruitt (see all)
- How to Choose Natural Solutions for Your Kids’ Common Aches and Pains - June 14, 2017
- 5 Amazing Health Benefits of Sitting on the Floor - June 5, 2017
- Top 5 “No Poo” Shampoo Alternatives - May 26, 2017