It is hard to imagine an Indian delicacy without spices; after all it’s the zesty spike of the exotic spices which sets it apart from all the cuisines from other nations. But when we decide to bring some Indian flavours to our meal, we often end up cooking a piquant Indian curry.
People often fail to realize that Indian cuisine has a lot more in store for us apart from curries. Take baked chicken for instance. Baked chicken has got a western feel to it. But the Indians added their own traditional touch to the recipe by smothering it with their indigenous spices and gave a new Asian makeover to this western dish.
Indian style baked chicken tastes somewhat like a chicken fry but comes with a healthy twist, given that you hardly need any oil to cook these juicy morsels. The chicken gets all its flavours from Indian spices like fennel, turmeric and coriander seeds and a splash of buttermilk during the marination turns them into tender succulent elements of pleasure.
If you are in love with fiery food, a generous dash of red chilli powder in this recipe will surely sizzle your palate with its flaming heat. Simply team it with Indian Yogurt dip or raita and paratha (Indian flatbread) and get set to taste a slice of India.
1 lb chicken thighs or any other cuts of chicken
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
2 tsp ground fennel seed
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp ground coriander seed
Juice of lemon
Salt to taste
- .Blend the chilli and turmeric powder, salt as well as ginger-garlic paste into the buttermilk and mix
- them thoroughly.
- .Rub the marinade all over the chicken and leave it in the refrigerator a couple of hours.
- .Sprinkle the remaining spices over the chicken and mix them all together.
- Arrange the marinated chicken in a pre-greased baking dish and place them in an oven, preheated to 350 F.
- Bake the chicken for about 45 minutes, flipping them over in between and insert a fork into them to check the doneness of the pieces.
- Once cooked through and golden brown, transfer the chicken to a serving plate ad squeeze a splash of lemon juice over them.
- Serve right away!
Recipe by Sharon Hunter, an author of www.ovenbakedchicken.org
Like Us On Facebook
Grab a Button
Join Our Blogroll