This delicious casserole is super easy to put together and a huge hit with the family. It makes using up leftover chicken a breeze, but can also be made with ground beef or any other kind of meat you like.
Omit the meat altogether and you have a great vegetarian enchilada dish. The best thing is that all of these ingredients can be bought organic or in whatever brand you like.
2-3 cups cooked, chopped chicken
(1) 28 oz can enchilada sauce (or homemade enchilada sauce)
(1) 15 oz can black beans
(1) 7 oz can mexican salsa
(1) 20 ct package corn tortillas
12 ounces natural cheddar cheese, shredded
Shredded lettuce, black olives, and sour cream to garnish as desired.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Oil a 13 x 9 casserole dish. Cover the bottom of the dish with a thin layer of enchilada sauce, then lay approximately 6 tortillas in the bottom of the dish. Tortillas may overlap a little.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the chicken, black beans, salsa, half of the cheddar cheese, and half of the enchilada sauce. Spread a layer of the mixture on top of the tortillas. Start a new layer of tortillas, covering them again with more of the mixture. Repeat these layers until the mixture is gone, and end with a layer of tortillas.
- Poor the remaining enchilada sauce over the layers. Top with the remaining cheese.
- Cover and bake for approximately 30-45 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly.