Do you need a new and simple one-pan meal in your life? Good. I have one for you! It's called Beefy Mexican Rice (thanks family for the name) and it's one of my favorite quick dishes to throw together any night of the week.
But, don't be fooled into thinking that a quick dish doesn't offer enough nutrition. I've found all kinds of ways to “sneak” in tons of nutrients into this meal, which is one of my family's favorites now.
About the Ingredients
There are a few things I'd like to explain about the ingredients in this recipe, as they can be a bit different depending on what you have on hand and what you have prepared beforehand.
Salsa – I used my own homemade fermented salsa to make this recipes. You are welcome to use any kind of salsa. Just promise me that you will read the ingredients carefully and select as natural a salsa as possible (no additives or preservatives)
Beef – I had some yummy leftover pieces of beef that I had cooked off of some soup bones to make broth. You are more than welcome to use whatever kind of beef you prefer. You could use leftover roast beef, stew meat, or even browned ground beef.
Pinto Beans – You may use either dried pinto beans that have been soaked and pre-cooked, or you may use canned/jarred pinto beans. Organic is best, and you should check out the ingredient list.
- Large stainless steel skillet with lid (get it here)
2 cups white rice
3 cups bone broth (or organic beef broth)
1 cup fresh or fermented salsa (recipe here)
1 cup pinto beans, soaked and cooked (or canned/jarred pinto beans)
1-2 cups leftover roast beef or stew meat (browned ground beef also works)
1 tsp southwest style seasoning OR homemade taco seasoning (recipe here)
Garnish: chopped green onion, sour cream
- In a large skillet, add the rice, broth, salsa, beans, beef, and seasoning. Bring to boiling on medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Cover and allow to simmer for 2-3 minutes on medium heat. Stir once, cover and reduce heat to low.
- Allow to simmer on low for 20-25 minutes until rice is done and liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm with fresh sour cream and chopped green peppers as a garnish.