Living in town or with a small yard and garden can be challenging when it comes to sustainability, but it’s not impossible. Here are 15 ideas to get you started with turning your backyard space into something that is sustainable both for the environment and for your family.
Part of creating a sustainable backyard garden is to use your space wisely. Traditional backyards are not large, but by being open minded you can allow room for both form and functionality.
The trick is to work with the unique layout of your space. Spend time brainstorming how you can best use each area, and don’t be afraid to experiment to see what works.
If you are new to gardening, start with fruits and vegetables that are hardy and easy to maintain.
- Go vertical by creating a wall of strawberries from The Savory Lotus.
- Grow vegetable tunnels for children to play in and harvest.
- Regrow scallions to get more bounty for your buck from Mix Wellness.
- Build a fast and easy raised bed garden for just $30 from Little Homesteaders.
- Build a straw bale raised bed garden from Homegrown and Healthy.
- Take advantage of companion planting for the best produce.
- Grow tomatoes upside down in a DIY bucket from Attainable Sustainable.
Creating a sustainable backyard garden starts with learning how to use nature’s resources wisely. One of the easiest natural resources to tap into is rainwater.
There are several ways that you can use rainwater directly in your garden.
Here are just a few ideas for sustainable landscaping in the backyard:
- Hook up a rain barrel to your gutter system (or buy here)
- Create a permaculture pathway to preserve rich soil and healthy plants.
- Upcycle glass bottles to make a pretty garden border from The Greenbacks Gal.
- Grow a living roof with tips and ideas from Landscaping Design Adviser.
- Make a rain chain so that rainwater can flow directly into a garden bed. (or buy here)
- Build a compost bin so you can have nutrient rich soil.
- Make the most of low moisture areas by making a rain garden.
- Upcycle some bricks to make a brick garden wall by Attainable Sustainable.
Related Articles Around the Web:
Photo Credit: Depositphotos.com/zoomteam
You Might Also Like...
Latest posts by Vanessa Pruitt (see all)
- 10 Hilarious Signs You’re a Keto Dieter - May 17, 2017
- Keto Bars Giveaway: Enter to Win a 10 Pack of Keto Bars! - May 11, 2017
- Low Carb Cauliflower ‘Mac’ and Cheese - May 11, 2017