How to Make Garlic Oil for Natural Remedies

How to Make Garlic Oil for Natural Remedies

Because it is so easy to make, garlic oil is a great natural remedy for beginners. By infusing fresh garlic with oil, you can get all of garlic’s natural healing benefits in an easily applicable form.

How to Make Garlic Oil for Natural Remedies: Ear aches and infections NaturalFamilyToday.com

Garlic has antimicrobial, antifungal, and antibiotic properties that can help fight infection. It has been used for both food and medicine for thousands of years. Several historical figures, including Hippocrates, mention the use of garlic for a variety of ailments, everything from parasites to poor digestion.

When learning how to make garlic oil for natural remedies, make sure that you obtain the freshest garlic possible and organic if it’s available. Your local farmer’s market is perfect for finding fresh garlic, but most grocery stores with good produce carry acceptable garlic year round.

How to Make Garlic Oil

For this recipe, you’ll need a small glass container with a lid.

Ingredients:

Directions:

Warm the oil slightly in a pan on the stove (not hot, just enough that it’s warm to the touch.)

Put the oil and garlic in the container together and put on the lid. For best results, let the oil and garlic infuse overnight for use the next day. If you are needing a quick remedy, you can use some of the oil in 2-3 hours.

When ready to use, use your finger to rub the oil around the outside of the ear or on the infected area. You may also use your finger to rub some at the entrance to the ear and allow one or two drops to enter the ear canal.

~

Now that you’ve learned how to make garlic oil, use the oil to treat ear aches and infections by rubbing the oil around the outside of the ear (or on the skin where the infection is present). A drop or two can also be placed inside the ear.

I have used this remedy to treat many “oncoming” ear infections. However, if you do not see an improvement or the pain/infection worsens, I recommend contacting your physician.

Dr. Christophers Formulas Oil of Garlic

Don’t want to make your own?

Try an oil of garlic formula.

** This in no way constitutes medical advice.

This post has been featured on: Traditional Tuesday, Tuesday Greens, Fat Tuesday, Old Fashioned Friday, Unprocessed Friday, and Tuned-In Tuesday.

Have you Tried Garlic Oil?

~

The following two tabs change content below.
Profile photo of Vanessa Pruitt
Vanessa Pruitt is a Christian Wellness Coach and an unschooling mother of 4 boys. Her goal is to help people take one step at a time toward a happier, healthier, more natural life. Read More...
Profile photo of Vanessa Pruitt

Latest posts by Vanessa Pruitt (see all)

43 thoughts on “How to Make Garlic Oil for Natural Remedies

1. Ashley

This sounds so easy. Two questions. Once I make it, how long will it last? and How do I store it (fridge, counter top, etc)? Thank you

1. JoyceeBirdVanessa Pruitt

Ashley, I wish I could answer how long it lasts. I stored mine on the counter and only needed it briefly, as ear infections and such don’t happen often here. I’m sure it’d be fine in the fridge. I imagine it could keep at least a couple of months. I’m sorry I couldn’t be of more help.

2. Lauren

Hi Ashley, I would store it in the fridge and use within 7-10 days. There are reported cases of botulism (food poisoning) with garlic-in-oil when kept at room temperature or for too long!

1. Lauren

I would imagine just from eating it. For skin use, it would probably be okay to keep it longer. To avoid the risk, definitely keep it out of the heat/light/sun (like don’t leave the container on the windowsill).

2. Pingback: How to Make Garlic Oil for Natural Remedies

1. Terry Southard

Thanks. I will try it with my bulldog who gets a lot of ear infections and the vet would have him on antibiotics constantly. He doesn’t need them anymore than I do.

1. Lauren

oh man. .really? a pet on antibiotics? animals are NOT supposed to use them for one, secondly it’s most likely viral or a food allergy . .get that dog away from that vet and get him on a raw diet or at least grain/soy/corn/dairy free

1. Terry Southard

He’s 4 and has always been grain,corn,soy and dairy free with occasional raw thrown in and homemade chicken broth. He’s just susceptible to ear irritation which I treat holistically, usually with colloidal silver. I just hate to see him miserable :(

1. Steve

They were using olive oil which stays liquid at room temps. But I think coconut oil would work fine; if the room temp is below 76 degrees then put it on a heating pad, near a lamp, on a stove that has a pilot light, on the hot water heater, or even sleep with it (maybe put the jar in a zip lock bag just in case the lid comes loose!).

3. Amanda

Hello! Thank you for posting this. I was wondering if you find this to maybe cure an infection? My daughter had one and the first round of antibiotics didn’t work and she ended up with a double infection. She is finishing up the second round of antibiotics and I am desperate to treat something more naturally! Allergies run in the family and I’m so hoping. I’ve hear vinegar and rubbing alcohol also. My mother used this recipe you posted to soothe our pain, but I can’t recall if it’s likely to heal… although, I know garlic is a natural antibiotic. I just want my baby well again.

4. Lauren

This works great. My children have had ear infections before and I have never used an antibiotic. No way was I going to start that vicious cycle. Even if you have though, try and catch things early and use garlic oil in the ears! IT works amazingly quick for us. Also fortify their immune systems with whole foods, no sugars and think about taking milk out of the diet, unless its raw milk possibly.

5. Helen

I know that this is about ear aches and infection but I wanted to let people know that for our 2yr. old when she has a fever, even up to 103-104, we put the infused garlic oil on the bottom of her feet and put socks on her before she goes to bed and her fever is always gone way down if not completely gone.

6. Profile photo of TheIdeaQueenTheIdeaQueen

Love love love this information! I know this is what I used for years with my son especially, because he suffered from severe ear infections when he was little (just like me). Garlic oil worked for years until he was taken to the ER without me for an ear infection, where they gave him medications that ultimately lead to mild hearing loss. Somewhere in the middle of those horrible doctor’s visits, I got yelled at by a nurse for using garlic oil prior to all the major troubles. But the garlic oil never lead to major problems like the drugs did, so I realize her reaction was that of a trained drug-pusher. To those using it as a treatment, good for you! I have found that medical professionals rarely have an understanding of herbal or natural treatments, thus are not qualified to give advice either way about them.

7. Leslie

I have a terrible ear ache right now and I’m determined to stay away from the doctor!! I can’t wait to get home and make this!! All this sinus pressure and pain has caused so much trouble for me!!

8. Yasmin

My 6 year old son has searches in both ears and I am waiting for health insurance to be active. I am going to try the garlic remedy today and hope for the best. So far in my research garlic proves the best remedy.

9. Kathleen Boden

While I agree with garlic oil for external ear infections when there is no danger of a perforated ear drum I cannot endorse it for inner ear infections. Nor should it be used in the ear canal if there is any possibility of eardrum having perforated. That will damage the delicate inner ear and cause deafness. Usually you can tell if perforation has happened when there is severe pain accompanied by pussy discharge. The pressure inside inner ear can rupture the eardrum. Taking garlic oil by mouth will help support the immune system very well in older children and adults. Inner ear infections happen when the eustachian tubes become blocked due to illness or allergy. This gives an excellent place for bacteria and viruses to cause pain and inflammation. Opening the eustachian tubes with steam (infused with aromatics or not) inhaled several times a day works well unless child is too small or too ill to co-operate. The hot water can severely scald a small child. Garlic oil, like raw honey, should not be given to children under two, that includes putting it on body parts likely to get into the mouth, due to the risk of botulism. I am a practising herbalist so I use many natural remedies, many of which I grow myself and produce at home. I am very careful to make sure the people using my products are knowledgeable of the pro’s and cons before they go ahead and when in doubt refer them to a physician.

1. Profile photo of Vanessa PruittVanessa Pruitt Post author

Hi Kathleen. Absolutely, nobody should take my blog as medical advise and should seek the advice of a physician at their own discretion. Do you have any links/evidence to your claim that garlic oil use with a perforated ear drum will cause deafness? I’m curious. Thanks.

10. Ana

I’m worried my garlic oil went bad!!!
    I started with severe pain from an ear infection Friday night. Saturday about 2pm I made the olive oil with garlic and started applying and using a heating pad trough out the next 2 days. Monday night about 8pm I was 80% better and had more of pressure than pain. My pain level was about a 9 Saturday and Sunday. My snot had cleared out no longer being green. I still applied one more Monday night about 11pm just to keep it away. Now Tuesday about 2pm my pain started again and now at 6pm I have the chills from the pain and it’s back to almost a 9.
    I never taught to store the oil in the fridge. I had been keeping it on my bathroom counter and I keep my house at 73°-75 °
    I’m so afraid now that by not storing it correctly I just did more damage to my ear and could cause serious damage.
    Do any of you think that I used spoiled oil? Could it just be a stubborn ear infection?

1. Profile photo of Vanessa PruittVanessa Pruitt Post author

I’m sorry Ana. I would think if the garlic was bad it would either be moldy or smell nastier than just plain garlic. It sounds like you just have a nasty ear infection. Might we worth a trip to the doctor if things are getting worse.

11. Brenda

the alhor is very good for having high blood pressure, always eat at meals helps a lot, I always wonder … consume your article, I saved in my favorites