Because it is so easy to make, garlic oil is a great natural remedy for beginners. By infusing fresh garlic with oil, you can get all of garlic’s natural healing benefits in an easily applicable form.

How to Make Garlic Oil for Natural Remedies: Ear aches and infections NaturalFamilyToday.com

Garlic has antimicrobial, antifungal, and antibiotic properties that can help fight infection. It has been used for both food and medicine for thousands of years. Several historical figures, including Hippocrates, mention the use of garlic for a variety of ailments, everything from parasites to poor digestion.

When using garlic for natural remedies, make sure that you obtain the freshest garlic possible and organic if it’s available. Your local farmer’s market is perfect for finding fresh garlic, but most grocery stores with good produce carry acceptable garlic year round.

How to Make Garlic Oil

For this recipe, you’ll preferably need a small glass container with a lid. You can also use a small plastic container if it’s all you have on hand.

Ingredients:

Directions:

Warm the oil slightly in a pan on the stove (not hot, just enough that it’s warm to the touch.)

Put the oil and garlic in the container together and put on the lid. For best results, let the oil and garlic infuse overnight for use the next day. If you are needing a quick remedy, you can use some of the oil in 2-3 hours.

When ready to use, use your finger to rub the oil around the outside of the ear or on the infected area. You may also use your finger to rub some at the entrance to the ear and allow one or two drops to enter the ear canal.

~

Use the oil to treat ear aches and infections by rubbing the oil around the outside of the ear (or on the skin where the infection is present). A drop or two can also be placed inside the ear.

I have used this remedy to treat many “oncoming” ear infections. However, if you do not see an improvement or the pain/infection worsens, I recommend contacting your physician.

Dr. Christophers Formulas Oil of Garlic

Don’t want to make your own?

Try an oil of garlic formula.

** This in no way constitutes medical advice.

This post has been featured on: Traditional Tuesday, Tuesday Greens, Fat Tuesday, Old Fashioned Friday, Unprocessed Friday, and Tuned-In Tuesday.

Have you Tried Garlic Oil?

~

The following two tabs change content below.
Vanessa Pruitt is the founder of Natural Family Today. She helps people take one step at a time toward a happier, healthier life. Learn more...

Latest posts by Vanessa Pruitt (see all)

31 Responses to How to Make Garlic Oil for Natural Remedies

1. FRAN says:

I’ve used this garlic oil to relieve my children’s earaches for years. It has always worked.

2. Ashley says:

This sounds so easy. Two questions. Once I make it, how long will it last? and How do I store it (fridge, counter top, etc)? Thank you

• Ashley, I wish I could answer how long it lasts. I stored mine on the counter and only needed it briefly, as ear infections and such don’t happen often here. I’m sure it’d be fine in the fridge. I imagine it could keep at least a couple of months. I’m sorry I couldn’t be of more help.

• Lauren says:

Hi Ashley, I would store it in the fridge and use within 7-10 days. There are reported cases of botulism (food poisoning) with garlic-in-oil when kept at room temperature or for too long!

3. MJP says:

I’m definitely going to check into this a little more. Great information.

4. Terry Southard says:

Do you think I can use this on my dog?

• It’s okay for humans, so I would assume yes. I personally would have no problem using this on my pet :)

• Terry Southard says:

Thanks. I will try it with my bulldog who gets a lot of ear infections and the vet would have him on antibiotics constantly. He doesn’t need them anymore than I do.

• Lauren says:

oh man. .really? a pet on antibiotics? animals are NOT supposed to use them for one, secondly it’s most likely viral or a food allergy . .get that dog away from that vet and get him on a raw diet or at least grain/soy/corn/dairy free

• Terry Southard says:

He’s 4 and has always been grain,corn,soy and dairy free with occasional raw thrown in and homemade chicken broth. He’s just susceptible to ear irritation which I treat holistically, usually with colloidal silver. I just hate to see him miserable :(

• Sam says:

Garlic or garlic-infused products can be toxic to dogs :(

5. hbanff says:

what about using coconut oil instead of the olive oil?

• I think it would work. You would want to make sure the coconut oil is warm when adding the garlic and keep it liquid overnight. Not sure how you would do that.

• Steve says:

They were using olive oil which stays liquid at room temps. But I think coconut oil would work fine; if the room temp is below 76 degrees then put it on a heating pad, near a lamp, on a stove that has a pilot light, on the hot water heater, or even sleep with it (maybe put the jar in a zip lock bag just in case the lid comes loose!).

6. Terry says:

Thank you so much, Karen. The garlic oil has been working, but I like your add-ons and will be giving them a try!

7. Tina says:

How often do you recommend applying the oil on/in the ears?

8. Jenny Young says:

Garlic is the best! Just another reason for me to continue keeping the house stocked with it.

9. Amanda says:

Hello! Thank you for posting this. I was wondering if you find this to maybe cure an infection? My daughter had one and the first round of antibiotics didn’t work and she ended up with a double infection. She is finishing up the second round of antibiotics and I am desperate to treat something more naturally! Allergies run in the family and I’m so hoping. I’ve hear vinegar and rubbing alcohol also. My mother used this recipe you posted to soothe our pain, but I can’t recall if it’s likely to heal… although, I know garlic is a natural antibiotic. I just want my baby well again.

10. Lauren says:

This works great. My children have had ear infections before and I have never used an antibiotic. No way was I going to start that vicious cycle. Even if you have though, try and catch things early and use garlic oil in the ears! IT works amazingly quick for us. Also fortify their immune systems with whole foods, no sugars and think about taking milk out of the diet, unless its raw milk possibly.

11. One of my favorite garlic remedies is infused garlic with raw honey. Love your idea for ear aches!

12. Great post! I am going to share this with all of my mom friends!

13. Helen says:

I know that this is about ear aches and infection but I wanted to let people know that for our 2yr. old when she has a fever, even up to 103-104, we put the infused garlic oil on the bottom of her feet and put socks on her before she goes to bed and her fever is always gone way down if not completely gone.